photo source: we heart it.
Quick Chicken and Dumplings
OMG! If you like Chicken and Dumplings this is the dish for you! It is a low fat way of indulging in this delicious dish. In this version of Chicken and Dumplings you use flour tortillas instead of biscuits as dumplings. Yay! I included all of the nutritional information too. ; )
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 cup prechopped onion
* 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
* 1 (10-ounce) box frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and vegetables; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
While chicken mixture cooks, combine water, flour, and broth. Gradually stir broth mixture into chicken mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in tortilla strips, and cook 2 minutes or until tortilla strips soften. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately.
Calories:366 (23% from fat)
Fat:9.3g (sat 3.1g,mono 3.9g,poly 1.4g)
Melanie Barnard, Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005